Larsen & Toubro (L&T) has secured a turnkey Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contract from the Acwa Power and Water and Electricity Holding Company consortium for the 1.5GW Sudair Solar Energy Project in Saudi Arabia.

Secured by the renewables arm of L&T’s Power Transmission and Distribution business, Sudair is considered to be one of the biggest solar photovoltaic (PV) plants in the world and also the biggest solar PV plant in Saudi Arabia with PPA signed.

The Water and Electricity Holding company is a subsidiary of the Public Investments Fund (PIF) of Saudi Arabia.

Set to come up on a 30.8 km2 parcel of land in the province of Riyadh, the project will have a total installed capacity of 1.5GW PV solar modules equipped with associated single axial tracker and inverters.

As part of Saudi Arabia’s National Renewable Energy Program (NREP), the Sudair Solar PV Project was granted to PIF and ACWA Power.

According to an announcement made by the Ministry of Energy in 2019, the Sudair project is part of 70% of Saudi Arabia’s target capacity of 58.7 GW that was assigned to PIF, while Renewable Energy Project Development Office (REPDO) was left with the remaining 30% to undertake competitive tendering.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

L&T CEO & managing director S N Subrahmanyan said: “With several GWs of solar EPC experience, L&T has emerged as a global technology player for solar plants. L&T has been a provider of EPC services for several green projects in recent years. We are India’s largest EPC company to build hydel power plants, the largest market player to build nuclear power plants with a total capability of 9360 MWe, including some ongoing projects, on an EPC turnkey basis with the capacity to make important critical components like steam turbines, generators, end shields and other critical equipment.

“We have the largest market share of the Flue Gas Desulfurization (FGD) units for fossil fuel power plants. L&T has over 2.1 GW of Utility Scale Solar projects commissioned and are also operating and maintaining several of them. We have a diversified renewable portfolio of 32MW Floating Solar Power Plants, 135 MWH of Battery Energy Storage projects, 500 Micro Grids and 14000 Solar Water Pumps. L&T is also working on potential solutions related to Green Hydrogen and Carbon Capture & Storage technologies. Securing this project is a major milestone in our clean and green energy path to fight the climate crisis that the world faces.”

L&T whole-time director & senior executive vice-president (utilities) T Madhava Das said: “KSA aims to become a pioneer in Renewable Energy and we are happy to be a part of this journey. We have been building efficient power transmission and distribution networks with modern substations and transmission lines in this region for more than 2 decades. This is yet another recognition of our capabilities to construct mega projects to speed and scale.”

With operations in over 30 countries and over $21bn in revenue, L&T is engaged in EPC projects and hi-tech manufacturing and services.


Set to come up on a 30.8 km2 parcel of land in the province of Riyadh, the project will have a total installed capacity of 1.5GW PV solar modules. Credit: Mishaal Zahed/Unsplash.