Webuild-led consortium wins Lot 3 of Sibiu-Pitesti Highway in Romania

WCN Editorial Team 16 May 2022 EUROPE TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE

Webuild-led consortium has secured a contract worth more than $1.04bn (€1bn) to construct Lot 3 of the Sibiu-Pitesti Highway in Romania.

Lot 3 is claimed to be the most complicated portion of the highway as it will cross the Carpathian Mountains between Cornetu and Tigveni for 37.4km, of which 12.5km will feature bridges and viaducts, and a twin tunnel of 1.7km long.

More than 40,000 jobs will be created in the construction phase of this lot.

The work will be done by a consortium led by Webuild with a 90% stake, and local partner Tancred with 10% interest.

This work is commissioned by Compagnia Nationala de Administrare a Infrastructurii Rutiere (CNAIR) on behalf of the Romania’s transport and infrastructure ministry.

The award of the contract comes after an international bidding process involving construction firm from Austria, Italy, Romania, Spain and Turkey.

European Union will provide 85% of the finance for this contract, while the remaining 15% will be state funds.

Apart from the tunnel, bridges and viaducts, Lot 3 includes the design and construction of more than 23km of a double-lane highway, two interchanges at Valeni and Cornetu, 18km of consolidation works, building of a maintenance and control centre, and work to protect the environment.

This lot will cut down traffic congestion between Cornetu and Tigveni by providing an alternative route to national roads.

Situated 10km from Lot 3, Lot 5 of the Sibiu-Pitesti Highway is also being constructed by Webuild.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image: More than 40,000 jobs will be created in the construction of this lot. Credit: Jan Alexander from Pixabay.

With 11 websites and newsletters covering all the key areas within the construction industry, World Construction Industry Network is the leading global construction information resource. READ ABOUT US
PRIVACY POLICY

STAY IN TOUCH!

LATEST TWEETS

World Construction Network | www.worldconstructionnetwork.com is a product of GlobalData. Copyright © 2022 GlobalData. All rights reserved.