Webuild and its joint venture (JV) partner Leonardo have secured a contract for the preliminary feasibility study to construct the Hyper Transfer in Italy. 

With an estimated total value of €800m ($863.95m), the Hyper Transfer is a commercial hyperloop system, which is said to be the world’s first operational prototype. 

This project is expected to lay the groundwork for the construction of this prototype.  

The €4m contract has been commissioned by Concessioni Autostradali Venete (CAV). 

In June 2023, the consortium known as Hyper Builders secured the winning bid for the tender issued by CAV. 

The contract intends to establish a testbed for constructing potential sections in the Veneto region of Italy.  

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

Hyperloop is a transportation system that uses magnetic levitation to propel capsules carrying passengers and cargo at speeds comparable to an aeroplane.  

The system operates within a low-pressure tube to minimise friction, enabling the capsules to achieve high velocities while promoting sustainable mobility and reducing energy consumption. 

The Hyper Transfer project is planned to unfold in three stages. 

Phase one is the feasibility study, followed by phase two, which includes detailed design and engineering. Phase three is the construction, testing and certification stage. 

Webuild holds a 96.22% stake in the JV, with Leonardo holding the remaining 3.78%.  

Webuild will oversee project management and infrastructure development while Leonardo will be responsible for developing the capsule fuselage. 

Hyperloop Transportation Technologies will serve as the technology supply partner and designated designer for the operating prototype, in collaboration with its licensee Hyperloop Italia.  

HyperloopTT COO Andrea La Mendola said: “Italy has always been a cradle of creativity, innovation, and progress, from the artistic brilliance of the Renaissance to the engineering prowess behind their high-speed trains. Today, we stand at the dawn of a new era, poised to redefine mobility once again with the ‘Hyper Transfer’ project.  

“This hyperloop system is not just about connecting Venice and Padua in record time; it is a testament to Italy’s unwavering spirit of innovation and their commitment to sustainable and efficient transport.” 

RINA has also been appointed as an additional designated designer.  

The JV and its partners will undertake the feasibility study under a Partnership for Innovation, a contract model that promotes research and development. 

Upon completion, the project aims to alleviate heavy traffic, reduce transport times and energy consumption, contribute to lower carbon emissions, as well as enhance road safety. 

In addition, the system will be scalable to establish complete connectivity between the cities of Venice and Padua.