Construction has formally started with a ground-breaking on the first phase of the mixed-use Rome Yards development in West Tampa, Florida, US. 

The project is a collaborative effort involving the City of Tampa, Tampa Housing Authority, and developer Related Urban Development Group.  

Rome Yards aims to transform an unused 18-acre city maintenance space into a mixed-use community, featuring 954 mixed-income housing units. 

Tampa mayor Jane Castor said: “This joint venture between the City of Tampa, the Tampa Housing Authority and the Related Urban Group is the perfect example of public and private entities working successfully toward one goal: affordable housing for all. 

“Today’s ground-breaking is just the tip of the iceberg of what will eventually be 18 acres of development that will serve Tampa for generations to come.” 

The first phase involves the construction of the Gallery at Rome Yards, situated south of Columbus Drive between Rome Avenue and the Hillsborough River. 

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

It will provide a variety of one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments, with a total of 234 units.  

Of these units, 80% will be allocated for households earning at or below 80% of the area median income, while the remaining 20% will cater to workforce housing needs. 

The development’s design includes five live/work units, which will enable small business owners to combine their living and working spaces.  

Furthermore, it will include a workforce training centre offering workplace training and CV-building assistance. 

Tampa Development and Economic Opportunity administrator Nicole Travis said: “As Tampa continues to grow, so has our need for affordable housing. 

“The Rome Yard development is a public-private partnership success story that will put a roof over the heads of more than 1,000 individuals and families.” 

Completion of the Gallery at Rome Yards is expected in December 2026.