Webuild and its consortium partner Ghella have received a €1.32bn contract for use in a rail project in the region of Sicily, Italy.

The consortium is spearheaded by Webuild with a majority stake of 75% while its partner Ghella holds the remaining 25% interest.

The partnership will undertake development on an additional stretch of a railway junction that is currently being built between Palermo and Catania in Sicily.

Both entities will work together to construct a 30km stretch of the new railway to double the Fiumetorto-Lercara Junction (Lot 1+2).

Lot 1+2 comprises a network of parallel tunnels spanning more than 20km, enabling travel in both directions.

Additionally, it features 2km of road and rail viaducts over 7km of roads, and three stations.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Valle del Torto station will be constructed, while Cerda and Lercara stations are expected to be renovated.

The stations will be installed with systems to promote efficient water usage and enable the collection of rainwater.

The companies will use modern technology and advanced construction methods to maximise the sustainability of the project.

Rete Ferroviaria Italiana will commission the project, which is expected to help enhance Sicily’s infrastructure and shorten travel times between the island’s key cities.

Webuild and other Italian companies are working on seven sections of the railway that will link the cities of Palermo, Catania, and Messina.