ESS research facility

Swedish construction and development firm Skanska has been awarded a $90m contract by European Spallation Source (ESS) to commence construction on the initial phase of an advanced neutron science facility in Lund.

The latest funding follows the signing of collaboration deal for the complete project in February of this year.

Under the initial phase of the project, Skanska Sweden will execute 75% of the construction work, while the remaining 25% will be undertaken by Skanska UK.

"Skanska Sweden will execute 75% of the construction work, while the remaining 25% will be undertaken by Skanska UK." 

The contract scope will cover executing excavation works, required infrastructure at the construction site, the ESS accelerator tunnel and several adjacent buildings.

Further, the overall project is divided into several stages and Skanska and ESS will sign separate agreements at the commencement of each phase.

Construction of the initial phase is set to begin immediately and the research facility is scheduled for completion by 2019. Currently, both parties are planning the scope and target expenses for the next phase of the project.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Last year, Skanska announced plans to invest $91m in a new Tyfonen project in Malmo, Sweden, which is set for completion in 2016.

The new 22,000m² building will feature 14 floors comprising public spaces, offices and hotels.

Image: Work under the neutron science facility project is set to begin immediately. Photo: courtesy of ESS.