The Jewish Museum Berlin has opened a new $11.5m glass and steel courtyard designed by New York-based architect Daniel Libeskind designed especially for educational and cultural events.

The courtyard sits alongside the main building created by Philipp Gerlach in 1735 and compliments another work by Libeskind – the main exhibition hall. The roof encloses a 602m² space and seats 500.

By Penny Jones