EDF-Masdar team wins 400MW wind project in Saudi Arabia

WCN Editorial Team 14 Jan 2019 MIDDLE EAST ENERGY & UTILITIES

A consortium consisting of EDF Renewables and Masdar (Abu Dhabi Future Energy) has won a contract from the Renewable Energy Project Development Office (REPDO) for the 400MW Dumat Al Jandal wind farm in Saudi Arabia.

This will be Saudi Arabia’s first wind farm and the most powerful in the Middle East.

The wind farm will benefit from a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with the Saudi Power Procurement, a subsidiary of Saudi Electricity (SEC), the Saudi power generation and distribution company.

REPDO is a unit of the Saudi Ministry of Energy, Industry and Mineral Resources (MEIM).

The consortium submitted a bid of $21.3 per MWh.

The wind farm will be located 560 miles north of Riyadh in the Al Jouf region of north-western Saudi Arabia.

EDF Renewables and Masdar teams have already been mobilised and construction work, especially with local businesses, is expected to commence in a few months.

EDF Group renewable energies senior executive president and EDF Renewableschairman and CEO Bruno Bensasson said: “We are delighted to be awarded this first wind project in the country, which is set to be the most powerful wind farm in the Middle East.

“This success reflects the quality of our partnership with Masdar which has enabled us to jointly submit the most competitive bid. Wind power is now representing a renewable and economical solution in the energy mix.

“This new project demonstrates our ambitions in the country and represents another step forward under the EDF Group’s Cap 2030 strategy, which aims to double its renewable energy capacity by 2030 – both in France and worldwide – to 50GW.”

EDF Renewables owns 51% of the project and Masdar owns the remaining 49%.

Masdar CEO Mohamed Jameel Al Ramahi said: “The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has set a clear energy strategy to substantially increase the share of renewables in its total energy mix to 10% by 2023.

“The selection of Masdar and EDF to develop the Kingdom’s first utility-scale wind power plant is a significant achievement. We are proud to leverage our strong track record in renewables to support the Kingdom’s strategy to increase the share of clean energy in its energy mix.”

______________________________________________________________________________________

Image: EDF-Masdar team wins 400MW wind project in Saudi Arabia. Photo: Courtesy of Anna Jiménez Calaf on Unsplash.

With 11 websites and newsletters covering all the key areas within the construction industry, World Construction Industry Network is the leading global construction information resource. READ ABOUT US
PRIVACY POLICY

STAY IN TOUCH!

LATEST TWEETS

World Construction Network | www.worldconstructionnetwork.com is a product of GlobalData. Copyright © 2019 GlobalData. All rights reserved.