Astaldi JV wins €435m contract to build suspension bridge in Romania


Astaldi, in a joint venture with Japanese company IHI, has been awarded a €435m contract by CNAIR, a state company headed by Romania’s Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, to build a suspension bridge over the Danube in the Braila area.

Astaldi will have a share of 60% in the contract and the Japanese company will hold remaining 40% interest.

The contract involves designing and building a 1,975m suspension bridge, with a main span of 1,120m, and two side spans of 490m and 365m.

Two bridge access viaducts, 110m in length, and 23km of connecting roads will also be built.

Construction of the project will take three years to complete, while the design is planned for one year.

The works, included in the Master Plan for the country’s transport, will be financed with EU funds under the Large Infrastructure Operational Programme (LIOP).

IHI has already worked with Astaldi for the construction of the Osman Gazi Bridge in Turkey.

In Romania, the Astaldi Group is currently building a new Line 5 of the underground and the Mihail Flamaropol ice arena, the A1-Curiel limited-access motorway, the Ogra-Campia Turzii motorway section, and 120km of the Curtici-Simeria double-track railway line, subdivided into three lots.

Astaldi has also won a contract worth $108m from the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT – District 5), US, to build a section of the Wekiva Parkway in Florida.

The contract involves building 8km of a new motorway along the State Road 429 – State Road 46 (Wekiva Parkway, Section 7A), including 12 bridges and related works.

The works, to be financed with FDOT funds, will commence in the first quarter of 2018 and are expected to be completed in just over five years.

The works will be executed by Astaldi Construction Corporation (ACC), an Astaldi Group investee focusing on the American market.

The company is currently executing a $1.2bn project for widening and modernisation of 22km of Interstate 405 in California, US.

With 11 websites and newsletters covering all the key areas within the construction industry, World Construction Industry Network is the leading global construction information resource. READ ABOUT US



World Construction Network | is a product of GlobalData. Copyright © 2022 GlobalData. All rights reserved.