Lane, Flatiron West win $705m contract for highway project in Washington

WCN Editorial Team 1 Nov 2019 NORTH AMERICA TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE

A joint venture of Salini Impregilo subsidiary Lane Construction and Hochtief’s Flatiron West has been awarded a contract, worth $705m, to widen a highway on one of Washington’s most travelled and congested corridors, in the US.

The design-build contract allows the joint venture to widen the highway and install dual express toll lanes between the I-405/SR interchange in Renton and NE 6th Street in Bellevue.

Under the terms of the contract, the partners will be responsible for adding another toll lane in north and south directions as well as improvements between the I-405/SR 167 interchange in Renton and NE 6th Street in Bellevue.

The joint venture, which is 40% owned by Lane and the remaining 60% by Flatiron West, plans to commence work in early 2020 and complete it in 2024.

The I-405 Renton to Bellevue Widening and Express Toll Lanes project involves improvements to the multimodal transportation to offer more reliable travel choices.

Work is expected to start in early 2020 and be completed in 2024.

Salini Impregilo CEO Pietro Salini said: “October was been a busy month for us in North America. We signed two contracts that confirm our commercial strategy: to consolidate our order book in countries with low risk profiles and major infrastructure investment programmes, which prove to be a real boost to the economy.”

Recently, Lane Construction secured a $255m contract for a water storage tunnel in a bid to reduce polluted overflows into Seattle’s Lake Washington Ship Canal, Washington.

The Ship Canal Water Quality Project – Storage Tunnel project involving a 2.7-mile tunnel will keep more than 75m gallons of polluted stormwater and sewage out of the canal, Salmon Bay and Lake Union on average every year.

Known as combined sewer overflow (CSO), the untreated water contains contaminants that can make people sick, and harm marine life, wildlife, and the environment.

Lane, along with Salini Impregilo, is also working on other CSO projects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image: Lane and Flatiron West win contract for widening of highway on one of Washington’s most travelled and congested corridors. Photo: courtesy of Salini Impregilo S.p.A.

With 11 websites and newsletters covering all the key areas within the construction industry, World Construction Industry Network is the leading global construction information resource. READ ABOUT US
PRIVACY POLICY

STAY IN TOUCH!

LATEST TWEETS

World Construction Network | www.worldconstructionnetwork.com is a product of GlobalData. Copyright © 2019 GlobalData. All rights reserved.