Balfour Beatty wins £50m substation replacement contract in UK

24 Jun 2019 EUROPE ENERGY & UTILITIES

UK-based construction company Balfour Beatty has secured a £50m contract from National Grid to replace a high-voltage substation at its Littlebrook Power Station in Kent.

Balfour Beatty stated that the five-year contract is claimed to be critical for National Grid in transforming its National Transmission Network to ensure continuous supply of power to the South East of England.

As per the terms of the contract, Balfour Beatty will design, supply and construct the 400kV substation. It will use the expertise of its affiliate, Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering, to complete the ground engineering works.

The project will include installing cables and overhead line connections to the national grid and design of the switchgear, the circuit board used to control, protect and isolate electrical equipment, into an effective and accessible design for the substation.

The work will begin this summer and is scheduled for completion in the winter of 2023. During the peak construction period, the project could create 100 jobs.

Balfour Beatty Power Transmission and Distribution business managing director Ian Currie said: “Our extensive knowledge and ability to provide an integrated solution in the delivery of high-voltage substations makes us ideally positioned to help National Grid secure the power supply to the South East of England for years to come.”

Balfour Beatty said that the contract is the result of its 12-year collaborative relationship with National Grid. Recently, the company completed works to connect Hinkley Point C, UK’s first nuclear plant, to the national grid and constructing the onshore substation at Hornsea Project Two, the world’s largest offshore wind farm.

Littlebrook Power Station is a combination of four oil and coal-fired power stations located on the south bank of the River Thames in Dartford, Kent. The first power station on the site, the Littlebrook Power Station A was built in the early 1930s and opened in 1939. This is a coal-fired plant and was later converted to run on oil over coal in early 1970s.

The Littlebrook Power Station B was built during the Second World War and it started operating in 1949. Like the Power Station A, this station also fired coal in the beginning, but was later switched to oil. The power plant had a capacity of 120MW.

Opened in 1952, the Littlebrook Power Station C had a total generating capacity of 240MW. Like the other two plants, this power station was initially powered by coal, but was later changed to oil in 1958.

The fourth unit, the Littlebrook Power Station D, started operating since 1976 and ceased operations in March 2015.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image:Balfour Beatty wins £50m contract from National Grid. Photo: Courtesy ofWikimediaImages/Pixabay.

With 11 websites and newsletters covering all the key areas within the construction industry, World Construction Industry Network is the leading global construction information resource. READ ABOUT US
PRIVACY POLICY

STAY IN TOUCH!

LATEST TWEETS

World Construction Network | www.worldconstructionnetwork.com is a product of GlobalData. Copyright © 2019 GlobalData. All rights reserved.